Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Elephant in the Room

So, life in Denver has been sooo good that I'm not quite ready to come back yet.  But, nonetheless, original plans move forward and I'll be back in just over a week. We've been keeping busy, though its tough to remember all of what we've been up to.  Lots of bike rides, trips to the farmer's market, yummy at-home meals, lots of laughing and other fun. 

Though I've been keeping busy with my own work, when I get back to Brooklyn, things will pick up speed and the vacation-style of working won't cut it anymore.  So it's pretty easy to see why I'm hesitant to come home.  But then things from home started creeping in on me....reminding me that I am, in fact, going back soon and that things are going to be quite a bit different when I do.

I had already known that a large number of my closest friends in BK are planning to move away between now and October. And I was preparing for the void that will be left when they go.  Then yesterday, I learned of two more families really important to me who are planning to move away; one family is leaving as soon as September, the other within the next year or two.  The void just got so much bigger.

But for some reason, I'm not freaking out about it.  I am sad, of course, and will miss all of the people I love, but I am also curious about what can happen in the midst of this much change happening all at once.  I'm not only excited for me, but for all of my friends who are heading off to new adventures.  Normally, I am terrified of things changing. But the past year has taught me that sometimes things have to fall completely apart in order for anything at all to come together.   In my life's history, I've always been the one leaving or moving, never the one left behind.  So now that the tables are turned, what else is there to do but to pull my chair in closer and see what's good on this side?

2 comments: