Thursday, August 11, 2011

Parabéns, Brooklyn!

Parabéns means congratulations in Portuguese and there seems to be a lot of it going around these days. Last night at my capoeira academy, we had a mini-ceremony for a few people who are going to miss our big annual ceremony/performance (called a batizado) at the end of this month.  Oh -- the energy!!!!  Everyone seemed to be playing on one of those trampolines I mentioned in an earlier post.  Bouncing, flying, smiling, falling & bouncing back up again.  It was heaven to watch and bliss to play.  There is something about an entire room consciously giving good, strong energy to everyone else in the room that is so amazing.  In the midst of personal dramas, injuries, challenges, and the day-to-day grind of life, I sometimes lose this feeling throughout the year.  But every so often, and always during batizado time, the energy takes over and all I feel is love and home. 

Coming back to New York from two months in Denver vacationland was tough, and I jumped in head first into work, planning for the fall semester and re-organizing my apartment after my subletter moved almost all of my stuff around. This year, I'm also coordinating the big batizado event which means taking care of tons of little, yet really crucial details.  But even though it has been tough (oh how I miss the evening meals with Wade and his fresh-squeezed watermelon juice and how my face hurt from so much laughing), coming back has been a delight, too.  Planning for the event is going very smoothly, all of my work is coming together nicely, and even the weather is really nice again (no AC last night!!). 

But last night at the academy was when I really felt like I was 'back' -- and in a good way. I am a lucky girl, for sure.

1 comment: