Friday, July 16, 2010

Dom Bosco -- Not just a delicious pizzaria

As the story goes, Dom Bosco predicted something about the end of the world.  He said that the only place that would remain inhabited by people was at a certain latitude and longitude, near a lake. As it turns out, that place is here in Brasilia, and I think this wouldn't be the worst place to be after the end of the rest of the world.  I came to this place at night last year with Fernanda, Tapioca and Raizes Dudu, and went back yesterday with Nagi, Karita and another of Nagi's students, Muricoca. We walked down to that dock to hang around and jump in the lake to swim (it was freeeeeeezing!!!!).  But mostly, we rested on the dock, enjoying the warmth of the sun.


Karita and I had spent the morning at the gym where Nagi works getting a personal training session from Marciel.  I learned lots of great new exercizes to strengthen and soften my ankle and knee.  We also did three rounds of excruciating abs, as evidence by my inability to laugh or breathe today without being reminded of them (ouch!).  But I guess that's also why I feel comfortable posting the picture above of my in my teeniest bikini.

In order to come home, we drove over the famous JK Bridge with three arches.  For some reason, I love driving on bridges and looking out the window up at the suspension cables (I am still awed by the Sunshine Skyway bridge in Florida every time I pass through it). Here was my view from the car:


At nearly every stop light in Brasilia, someone is on the corner selling something.  Sometimes it's towels or maps, sometimes it's fruit or papers.  Yesterday, I saw the most interesting attempt to get money at a stop light -- a juggling mime!  We were listening to a Brazilian band called Skank (bouncy, fun, circusy Ska music), when we pulled up to the light.  The mime appeared from the center island of the road with a big red clown nose and three or four juggling balls and began his entertainment.  The music was a perfect accompaniment to his 2 minute show.  We all dug into our pockets for some $ and gave him a big round of applause when he finished.

1 comment: