Thursday, July 8, 2010

so vs sou

The word o (with an accent over the o) means "only." The word sou means "I am." The pronunication is so subtly different that my ear can't yet distinguish between the two. (I already learned the hard way -- no pun intended-- the difference between pao and pao with a ~ over the a: pao with a ~ means bread, pao without it is slang for a hard penis. I learned this after offering someone a piece of my pao de quejo last year. I meant to offer cheese bread, but instead offered cheesy, hard penis. Last night I tried to learn the subtle difference between pouvo (octopus) and povo (the people). Who would want to eat the people? Oh....they're talking about eating octopus.)

Last night I trained at Ralil's academia. More on the details of that great experience later, but while there, I met a young kid (probably about 8 yrs old.) from the neighboring town of Cristalina whose game was so beautiful. The kid was alos beautiful, with long light brown hair tied back in a ponytail. Thus, I assumed this kid was a girl. When I was introduced, I said, "Seu jogo e bonita, your game is beautiful" using bonita to address a girl rather than bonito to address a boy. Th kid was flattered, and replied, "Sou menino." I didn't really hear the "o" for menino (indicating boy) instead of menina (indicating girl), and thought he was "so" being humble, as in, so menino, I'm just a kid.

Another guy from Cristalina was there and let me know my mistake, telling me (in Portugese) that the kid is a meninO (boy), not a meninA (girl). But since I thought the kid was being a bit humble, I somehow misinterpreted everything to mean that the adult was saying that the "girl's" game was so good because she was a tomboy. Ai ai ai. So I go on to say, No...she is a girl - a strong, talented girl. And back and forth like this for a while. Thank goodness Brazilians are so nice. Here I was, insisting that this little boy was actually a little girl, with no idea of my mistake. We started class and I was thinking of the exchange and realized my mistake. I felt terrible. So, on the next break, I went up to the little boy and apologized, saying sorry for my mistake, my portuguese is very bad, I didn't understand anything. He was sweet about it.

Such a good reminder to slow down and really listen. And a good reminder that long hair and a pretty face does not neccessarily indicate a girl.

5 comments:

  1. You are totally living the life Renee. Still trying to think what sucks a lot of juice--A vegetarian tick?! -Wade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been there so many times...oy. Everything sounds sooooo great thus far. So excited you're taking us with you on your trip! :)

    - Jasmim

    PS: Say hallo to my leetle frien'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...you are learning Portuguese. Good for you. I am learning Spanish and used it a lot when I went to the Dominican Republic last spring. I tutor at the Literacy Council and try and practice my Spanish there. Is Portuguese very different from Spanish?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheila -- there are a lot of similarities between spanish and portguese, both in terms of grammar, syntax and words. But I'm also discovering a lot of similarities with English as well; so many words are very simliar that when I don't know a word in Portuguese, I try to pronounce with with a Portuguese accent and often times -- that is the word! For example, tempurature is pronounced tempuraTOUR!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh. Cannot stop laughing...great story! This is such a treat to read about your travels. I still have many more posts to look forward to, since I am only now starting at the beginning.

    Lovely lovely you!

    ReplyDelete